Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Hail Mary

121610lighthouse1

Being a 5'2" photographer is fun. I am always trying to make sure I have a variety of angles and heights in my shots, which means I have become quite the climber. Despite my notorious lack of grace, I can now balance/stand on a variety of objects never built for such a purpose. Lately, I have been trying to work on my "hail marys" as an alternative to clambering around people's living spaces. This shot is from a story we did on a half way house for women which is suffering from a lack of funds and may soon close. I was struck by this woman's room, filled with dream catchers. She is celebrating 18 months clean and working towards finding her own place. There is something in the symbolism of her walls covered in dream catchers that spoke to me, a very visual representation of trying to keep the negatives out of her life and focus on her goals. Pretty happy with the resulting image (full disclosure, I am actually standing on a chair+hail mary-ing, if only I could work in platform shoes).

No comments:

Post a Comment